Sa Kaeo Refugee Camp, Thailand
Dr. Duplessie decided to become a physician while working with the Japanese Red Cross at Sa Kaeo refugee camp, the first organized refugee camp on the Thai-Cambodian border.
Persevering after the Japanese Red Cross fled over security issues, he worked in a 1200 bed thatched roof hospital with patients lying on mats on dirt floors. Always integrating charity into his medical practice, he has never forgotten those who are less fortunate.
A refugee camp is a prison camp. Dr. Duplessie tried to humanize it. His other accomplishment’s include:
- Organized daily sport activities for the 5000 imprisoned children
- Started an adult volleyball league
- Manufactured bamboo sun hats [pictured above] to give away
- Manufactured sandals from tires [pictured above]
- Smuggled in vast quantities of fresh vegetables
- Lived with 11 Cambodian monks